Friday, May 22, 2009

Square Foot Gardening

For a few years I have thought that we should make a garden. This year we finally did it. I don't really expect anything to grow to be quite honest, since we have NO clue what we are doing. But, we are giving it a try. Here is how we did it:

We had some trex decking material from a deck that was ripped out (Thanks Scott and Kami!). We took 6 foot pieces and built the garden to be 6 feet by 6 feet. We did two pieces high and then pounded in some wooden stakes in the corners and the middle of the garden. When I say "WE" I mean I designed it and Trent built the whole thing. After it was built we bought some square foot gardening mix and dumped it in our garden. Then I took some twine and push pins to make a grid over the garden. This way it will be nice and organized and I mapped up what will be in each square. After that we spent an evening planting.

We planted:
-roma tomatoes
-cherry tomatoes
-basil
-green peppers
-watermelon
-carrots
-white onions
-red onions
-marigolds (I guess that helps with the bugs?)


Wish us luck, I hope we will at least grow something. (I took these photos before putting in trellis' for the tomatoes and before any of the seeds sprouted up.)

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It looks great! I have no green thumb, whatsoever!

Sislers said...

I got so burned out from gardening from when I was a kid that now I just let our neighbors bring over their fresh veggies from their garden :D

Becca B said...

Cally, is there a wood bottom to the garden, or just sides?

andersons said...

There are just sides and then we put some weed barrier in the bottom.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. I want a garden. Let me know how that turns out. You should make salsa. mmmm

Melinda said...

That's a nice looking garden, good work. I'm sure you'll get tons of food out of it. I have no clue what I'm doing either but the seeds manage to do just fine.