Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Turkey: Day #3

The Arasta Bazaar.
Hand embroirdered shoes. Each boot took a few days to make.

Shopping for scarves.

Hand dyed suzanni.

Shop owners playing backgammon. It is a big thing over there.

Looking at beautiful ikat fabric.
I got Connor a backgammon set while I was in Turkey. This is not the one I bought him. This one was hundreds of dollars. It had a lot of intricate details.

The Grand Bazaar (this man was selling juice).

One of the many shops we went to.

Wonder Woman :).

This man took us up to his han (workshop) in the grand bazaar. There were men up there making jewelry. A couple of them took off my ring and polished it for me.

I guess even the Turks like Twilight :).
They have really cool lanterns over there.
The Mosaic Museum. Do you like the mullet?
A lovely squat toilet.

We went to a yummy restaurant that was outdoors just below the Blue Mosque. It was really cool to hear their call to prayer so close.

2 comments:

Becca B said...

Loved the Wonder Woman pic. How cool it would be to actually be there and hear the call to prayer.

Melinda said...

How sad is it that when I look at your pictures of Turkey it reminds me of Disney World? Do you think if I went there that I would be comparing it to Disney the whole time? It looks like an amazing trip. I would buy a pair of those boots just to put in a display case. They are a work of art.